Everyone wants to drink clean, fresh and safe water – and the best way to achieve this is through a quality water filtration system. However, if your water filter cartridge is not replaced, your water filter may not be as effective as it should be.
Your water filter system can be compared to your car. Think about it this way – if you don’t change the oil in your car, it will get dirty and stop lubricating the engine. This will eventually lead to a faulty and unproductive engine. The same applies to your water filter. If you do not replace your water filter cartridge, the water you are drinking may not be as clean and safe as you think.
Many water filters have pores that trap and attract bacteria/contaminants like sediment, rust, and odors. If your water filter cartridge is full of these contaminants, the water will struggle to get through – not filtering it effectively.
So, the question is – how often should you change your water filter cartridge?
This all depends on the type of water filter you buy, where you live and the quality of the water in your surrounding area. For example, in an area where there is a lot of contaminants, the water filter cartridge usually doesn’t last as long. However, in most developed and city areas, the water quality is quite good, which results in a water filter cartridge lasting approximately 9-12 months.
According to the NSW Government – “Water fluoridation helps prevent tooth decay in people of all ages. Scientific research shows that water fluoridation is effective and safe. Adding fluoride to drinking water is important for protecting the health of people in NSW.”
It is highly likely that the tap water you are consuming today is enriched with fluoride. Although the government and other sources say it is safe, there is also some concern surrounding how fluoridated water may increase the risk of other diseases.
Yes, fluoride can effectively prevent and reverse tooth cavities – however, ingesting fluoride can accumulate in our bones which may lead to the increased risk of various health problems. Some of these health issues include cancer – particularly osteosarcoma which is a type of cancer that develops in the bones.
If you are worried about the effects of fluoride in your drinking water, you can install a water filter that can remove this mineral. This is the best option if you are drinking tap-water on a daily basis. How can fluoride removing water filters benefit you?
- The dose of fluoride you are taking in can not be controlled, as once fluoride is put in the water, it is impossible to control the dose of each individual receives – because people drink different amounts of water.
- An excessive amount of fluoride can have negative impacts and health risks. We are not saying to not consume it at all, however, people are receiving fluoride from many other sources besides water. Therefore if we can remove fluoride from our drinking water, it can be beneficial – as we won’t have to worry about consuming other foods or beverages processed with fluoridated water.
- Fluoride is not an essential nutrient that we need. On the contrary – excessive fluoride can interfere with many important biological processes.
Water filters can be the best way to remove fluoride from your water. They also have a range of other benefits – these include:
- The reduced risk of disease: removal of harmful chemicals present in tap water
- Helping save the environment with a decreased use in the plastic water bottle
- Enjoy better-tasting water
Life of your water filter cartridge
Water filter cartridges require very little maintenance during their lifespan – however, they do need to be replaced at the end of the cycle. As mentioned above, the estimated lifespan of a water filter cartridge depends on several factors. Some other indications that your water filter cartridge may need replacement include:
- Type of water (hard/soft water)
- More use of water than average application
- Previous treatment of tap water
- Quantity of contaminants and how much needs to be filtered
5 signs to replace your water filter cartridge
- Odour/foul smell in the water: if your filtered water starts to smell different, it is unquestionably time for you to change the water filter cartridge
- The unpleasant taste of water: have you noticed that the water you’re drinking tastes a little weird? This could mean it is time for you to change your water filter cartridge.
- The gradual decrease in water flow: water usually starts to slow down when the water filter is old, getting clogged up with particles. In this case, the filter still works, however, the carbon is not doing its job properly. This is why it is important to change your water filter cartridge, as over time the carbon becomes less and less effective.
- Electronic indicator: some water filters have an electronic indicator where you will be able to measure the effectiveness of the water.
- Visual indication (clear container shows dirty filters): your water filter may also have a clear container showing the dirty filter – if this is the case, it is quite easy to tell when your water filter cartridge needs a change.
Keep your Home water filtration system working efficiently and make sure you change your water filter cartridge. Drink clean, safe and pure water through your home water filtration system.